Have you got certain data migration questions you simply can’t discover the solutions to? Register for the free web seminar “Ask Us Anything: Moving Smarter, Not Harder” on Wednesday, October 30 at 11:00AM EST!
Data migration may appear like a relatively easy process at first glance. You pick data up from the selected source and move it to a selected destination. Besides scheduling and maybe some light reorganization on the way, it’s pretty simple…right?
What if you are told that before migrating source data to a different Cloud destination, you must first make sure the source data:
- Is tagged correctly for data classification and categorization?
- Doesn’t contain any sensitive content such as corporate proprietary data, US PII, or EU GDPR?
- Is current and relevant?
Welcome to compliant migration: a better, safer way to conduct data migration if you have source data that must adhere to government and/or industry rules too as meet your company’s own corporate data policies.
Why Compliant Migration?
Now we all know what a number of you dear readers may be thinking:
“Compliant Migration doesn’t affect me. I’m sure the origin data I’m going to migrate is current, relevant, categorized, and doesn’t meet any regulatory limitations.”
But they are you really sure? If you are the IT specialist given the job of performing the migration, are you able to make sure that you’re familiar enough using the source data to understand its existence cycle, purpose and content?
Possibly yet another thought may be something similar to:
“Even when the data isn’t current, relevant, categorized and compliant, that’s the business’ concern not IT’s worry. It’s within migration deadline. Migrate everything now and we can sort everything out when the data is incorporated in the destination.”
I recognize that the simple “as is” migration plan (also referred to as “lift and shift”) is tempting since it doesn’t require understanding the origin data first. However, it may cost more money and time than the usual Compliant Migration in the lengthy run. Migrating everything in advance using the aim of sorting it within the new destination later leaves a business vulnerable for that duration of publish-migration time that it requires to complete the sorting.
Think about this: recent studies show that 62% of companies unintentionally store sensitive data within the public cloud and 26% of companies have endured some extent of cloud data thievery. Data breaches can:
- Cost up to thousands and thousands of dollars
- Initiate regulatory fines and/or penalties
- Erode public rely upon the organization
- Result in personnel changes.
AvePoint offers several tools (or even a service!) that lead towards the data analysis preparation of a compliant migration along with solutions that carry out the actual migration itself.
- AvePoint Discovery Tool: Use it just before migration to interrupt lower the logical hierarchy and inventory of the existing SharePoint environment into details such as:
- SharePoint object counts by object type
- SharePoint object locations
- SharePoint content size per selected scope
- SharePoint object metadata (including creation, last access and last modification)
- AvePoint Compliance Protector: Before moving, employ this sophisticated data checking engine that utilizes comparison analysis to recognize content in all sorts of possible data sources (i.e. SharePoint, File Systems, Yammer, Box, Dropbox, etc.) based on from box or custom comparison criteria including PII/PHI/HIPAA, EU GDPR, US ITAR/EAR and much more. This solution may then also perform defined actions against qualifying content for example tagging, moving/archiving, quarantining (for human review), redacting, and much more.
- AvePoint DocAve: This suite of tools for SharePoint contains pre-migration analysis tools for example the DocAve Migrator Tool for analyzing source content from an array of data sources. Additionally, it includes multiple migration modules for moving from various data sources into SharePoint or Office 365 (SharePoint Online, OneDrive For Business, Office 365 Group Team Sites, etc.).
- AvePoint FLY (a part of AP Elements): This tool can migrate data from an array of data sources into Office 365 using either Microsoft’s High-Speed Migration strategy or Office 365 API. It also migrates email!
- AvePoint MaaS (Migration like a Service): A “white glove” approach by AvePoint Client Delivery Services that encompasses talking to, planning and implementation of the thorough data migration project.
Whether moving 1GB or 1TB, cms influences migration strategy (especially whenever using older data sources). Modern cyber security policies and government or industry rules frequently demand zero tolerance of information vulnerability. Sticking to new standards means reevaluation from the traditional “as is” (also referred to as “lift and shift”) migration methodologies. AvePoint is here now that will help you with the modern requirements of the migration project.
Want more content around migration? Make sure to sign up for our blog!