I know full well that SharePoint migrations are daunting projects that need thorough consideration and thought before execution. There’s a quantity of posts on the blog and over the Microsoft community that talk to things to consider before choosing to migrate, how you can optimize your migration project plan, and SharePoint 2016 software and hardware needs. But when you’ve already done your quest on SharePoint 2016 and know very well what migration path works well with your business, what you ought to know next is how you can perform job.
Propose, we’ve damaged lower the complex anatomy of the SharePoint 2016 migration right into a seven-step procedure that holds true – whether or not you’re using native functionality to upgrade from SharePoint 2013 (or perhaps an earlier version) or perhaps a third-party tool.
1. Research into the Source: This task involves using checking tools to understand your overall content and structure, determine the scope of the migration, and discover potential migration roadblocks.
2. Target-Condition Content Design: Establish the alignment between your format and layout from the content inside your source atmosphere and also the information architecture in SharePoint 2016.
3. Migration Planning: Break your migration lower into a number of batches or phases to coordinate the required sources, clarify workflows, and schedule all migration activities. Also, consider whether data cleanup is needed, therefore, whether or not this will occur pre-migration, in-flight, or publish-migration.
4. Pilot Migration: Establish some migration scenarios to check inside a non-production atmosphere to verify the technical practicality from the migration, identify any gaps that must definitely be addressed, and supply the migration team an chance just to walk with an finish-to-finish content migration. This task is the opportunity to further optimize your plan and perform rollback testing.
5. Content Migration: Migrate happy to the prospective atmosphere and repeat for every batch.
6. Testing and Validation: Validate the prosperity of your migration according to set up target atmosphere meets the needs from the business it supports. At the moment, the outcomes ought to be in conjuction with the results acquired throughout the pilot migration, and then any discrepancies can be handled. Again, you’ll continue doing this step for every batch from the migration.
7. Content Synchronization and User Transition: “Freeze” the origin atmosphere, perform the last synchronization of changes, and transition users towards the target atmosphere therefore it becomes their primary atmosphere moving forward. Repeat for every batch from the migration.
Download our on-demand web seminar, Start Your SharePoint 2016 Migration Today to listen to our panel of SharePoint migration experts discuss the primary challenges with SharePoint 2016 migrations and the way to overcome them. Included in our SharePoint 2016 Readiness Guide, you’ll also get access to our SharePoint 2016 Migration Guidelines White-colored Paper and blog series on what’s new in SharePoint 2016!