Looking for effective records management tools? Watch our short web seminar about how DocAve Administrator manages everything Office 365 and SharePoint.
This is actually the second publish within our NARA series. Browse the other posts below!
As increasing numbers of organizations and federal agencies begin applying changes to conform with NARA electronic record standards, it might be apparent the burden isn’t just within the conversion of physical records to electronic records, but the control over that very same content.
No more are sensitive records capable of being guaranteed through physical measures, for example transport for an off-site location. Using the proceed to electronic records, the procedure has shifted, and 1 of 2 things have a tendency to happen:
- More burden is positioned around the security also it teams to make sure proper records retention, or
- Records managers are given the job of becoming IT professionals to be able to correctly manage the systems of record.
Additionally, the level of submissions are way too vast to handle with similar degree of oversight it had become once the records were kept in an actual repository. This info might also span several systems.
To correctly manage this shift, organizations should implement a dangerOrWorth Framework regarding their content. The aim is to understand content supports the most value and just what content supports the most risk. By understanding and categorizing the information, this will make it simpler to know which systems want more scrutiny and oversight and which don’t. Furthermore, the information that doesn’t fall under among the risk or value groups can be treated individually and can require a shorter period to handle.
You will find multiple methods to employ this framework, and you will find many standards available. No matter that you simply choose, make sure to:
- Identify: Find out the systems that are used as systems of record.
- Classify/Classify: Classify the machine in line with the information contained. This may also be done using a business impact analysis.
- Assess: Assess current security controls and, in line with the new categorization, note necessary changes.
- Implement: Implement new security changes.
- Review: Evaluate the security changes to make sure that the systems are operating as intended.
- Authorize: Set permissions towards the locations as necessary.
- Monitor: Monitor the systems and locations which have been recognized as getting content within the risk or value groups.
Although this sounds somewhat extensive process, it doesn’t need to be. You will find automated solutions that may carry out the legwork for the majority of this framework. AvePoint’s Enterprise Risk Management has the capacity to help in the assessment of information, validating how it’s used and utilized, documenting security controls and reporting around the risks and breaches.
The transition to electronic records doesn’t have to become anyone team’s responsibility. Through the use of the correct framework, records managers can seem to be certain that the records are stored correctly also it and security teams can seem to be certain that the correct controls have established yourself to avoid leaks. With working together and also the right means to fix help automate the procedure, everybody can sleep better during the night.
Want to maintain the NARA series? Sign up for our blog to obtain weekly updates!